Thursday, February 4, 2010

Feeling like High School

I've been on Twitter for a bit more than a year now. At the beginning it was incredibly interesting just to read tweets.
After a while I wanted to participate in discussions. I thought I could just throw in my comments and it'll be as much fun for me as it was (apparently) for the others. So I made comments, remarks and I tried to be positive. I really tried. Sure, I met a few really nice people who actually responded if I had questions but didn't the media say that on Twitter everyone can meet hundreds of new friends? Huh...everyone except for me, I guess.

I had to realize, that Twitter is like High School. The more popular you are, the more fun you have.

There are groups on twitter, like the mommybloggers, or the funny/sarcastic/ whatever mom's or weight loss groups and so many more. As someone who doesn't live in the US or Canada or another big country it is really hard to find people on twitter. Besides, English is not my mother tongue, and I guess people notice that (I apologize for all the grammar mistakes I've done until now OK? Geez.)
I have nothing agains't social media (puh-lease, I'm a facebook-addict) but when you're not in some sort of group, Twitter is probably not as much fun; less people help you when you have a problem. Less people notice when you make a huge announcement. And of course there are less comments on your blog. I spend hours with commenting, even if the blog is crappy (and yes, I know that you probably consider my blog as one of those).

I feel like in High School again. A loner in a community that consists thousands of people.

Maybe it's just me. Am I really that boring/annoying/uninteresting?

2 comments:

  1. I'm a terrible commenter. I type half a comment and delete it much of the time. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, first, if you hadn't had just said that English wasn't your first language, I would have never known.

    And Twitter... Yeah, a lot of people struggle with twitter, because to really make connections, you have to be the one putting yourself out there. Not just making comments on your own twitter stream, but commenting on what others are saying.
    It does get easier when you have more followers, because then it's more responding what people are saying to you.
    But until then, find people that interest you, and make an effort to comment to let them know you're interested in what they have to say.

    But don't only focus on people with tons of followers. You'll get lost in the flood of comments that they get every time they say something. Some of the best conversations I have are with people who don't have many followers at all.
    Eventually you'll find you click with a group of people and find your niche.

    ReplyDelete